In this action sequence, director Taika Waititi gives a shout-out to storyboard artist Tod Harris, who boarded the whole kit and kaboodle. (Taika W. also points out that comic book legend Jack Kirby provided a lot of inspiration. Nice to see a live-action director spread the credit around.)
...unless you count the mighty Thor.
THREE -DAY DOMESTIC GROSSES
1. Thor: Ragnarok (DIS), 4,080 theaters / $46.8M Fri. (includes $14.5M previews) /$44.4M Sat. / $29.8M Sun/ 3-day cume: $121M / Wk 1
2. A Bad Moms Christmas (STX), 3,615 theaters / $5.5M Fri. /$6.9M Sat/ $4.6M Sun/ 3-day cume: $17M /Total: $21.6M/ Wk 1
3. Jigsaw (LG), 2,941 theaters / $2M Fri. / $2.8M Sat/ $1.8M Sun/3-day cume: $6.1M to $6.7M (-60%)/Total: $28.8M/ Wk 2
4. Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (LG), 2,202 theaters (-186) / $1.2M Fri. /$2.2M Sat/$1.2M Sun/ 3-day cume: $4.65M (-54%)/Total: $43M Wk 3
5. Geostorm (WB/SKY), 2,666 theaters (-580)/ $825K Fri. /$1.4M Sat/$785K Sun/ 3-day cume: $3M (-49%)/Total: $28.8M/ Wk 3
6. Happy Death Day (UNI/BLUM), 2,184 theaters (-1,351) / $792K Fri. / $1.2M Sat/ $808K Sun/3-day cume: $2.8M (-45%)/ Total: $53M/Wk 4
7. Thank You for Your Service (DW/UNI), 2,083 theaters (+29) / $673K Fri. /$934K Sat/$653K Sun/ 3-day cume: $2.26M (-41%)/Total: $7.4M/ Wk 2
8. Blade Runner 2049 (ALC/WB/SONY), 1,464 theaters (-957)/ $605K Fri. /$1M Sat/$610K Sun/ 3-day cume: $2.24M (-46%)/Total: $85.5M/ Wk 5
9. Only the Brave (SONY), 2,073 theaters (-504)/ $562K Fri. /$825K Sat/ $523K Sun/ 3-day cume: $1.91M (-45%)/Total: $15.3M/ Wk 3
10. Let There Be Light (ATLAS), 700 theaters (+327) / $523K Fri. /$718K Sat/ $467K Sun/ 3-day cume: $1.7M (-1%)/Total: $4.1M/Wk 2 ...
Meanwhile, Cars 3 wrapped its domestic run on November 2nd, taking in $152,901,115 across the U.S. and Canada. (Its world gross was $382,234,535.)
Other animated features still in release?
Coco -- $27,963,804
Captain Underpants -- $123,434,565
The Emoji Movie -- $214,641,479
The LEGO Ninjago Movie -- $119,211,830
My Little Pony -- $47,161,496
Pixar Animation's Coco will shortly have a wide, U.S. rollout.
Add On: Pixar's Lee Unkrich (Coco) and Marvel's Waititi (Thor) talk about their movies.