A fuzzy animated rabbit shoulders past the non-fuzzy animated jungle beasts to take the #2 position among the Top Ten domestic moneymakers:
(Peter Rabbit was animated at Animal Logic in Sydney; live action for the flick was also done in and around Sydney. Free Money played a role in locating the production there.)
THREE DAYS OF GROSSES
1) Fifty Shades Freed (UNI), 3,768 theaters / $18.5M Fri (includes $5.6m previews)/ $12.7M Sat/ $7.6M Sun/3-day: $38.8M /Wk 1
2) Peter Rabbit (SONY), 3,725 theaters / $5.7M Fri / $11.4M Sat/ $7.8M/3-day: $25M /Wk 1
3) The 15:17 to Paris (WB), 3042 theaters / $3.7M Fri /$5.4M Sat/ $3.4M Sun/3-day: $12.6M /Wk 1
4) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (SONY), 3,126 theaters (-226) / $2.2M Fri /$4.8M Sat/ $2.8M Sun/3-day: $9.8M (-10%)/Total:$365.7M/ Wk 8
5) The Greatest Showman (FOX), 2,373 theaters (-215) / $1.6m Fri / $3M Sat/$1.8M Sun/3-day: $6.4M (-17%)/Total: $146.5M/Wk 8
6) Maze Runner: Death Cure (FOX), 2,923 theaters (-870) / $1.4M Fri /$2.8M Sat/ $1.8M Sun/3-day: $6M (-43%) /Total: $49M/Wk 3
7) Winchester (CBS), 2,480 theaters / $1.3M Fri /$2.3M Sat/$1.3M Sun/3-day: $5.05M (-46%)/Total: $17.1M/Wk 2
8) The Post (FOX/DW), 1,865 theaters (-597) / $860K Fri /$1.7M Sat/$940K Sun/3-day:$3.5M (-33%)/Total: $72.8M/Wk 8
***Hostiles (EST) 2,214 theaters (-720)/$713K Fri/$1.26M Sat/ $1.22M Sun/3-day: $3.2M (-37%)/Total: $26.3M.
9) The Shape of Water (FSL), 1,780 theaters (-561) / $760K Fri /$1.4M Sat/ $840K Sun/3-day: $3M (-33%)/Total: $49.7M/Wk 11
10) Den of Thieves (STX), 1,468 theaters (-644)/ $750K Fri /$1.3M Sat/ $800K Sun/3-day: $2.8M (-37%) /total: $40.9M/Wk 4
Coco remains in 833 U.S. theaters with a domestic box-office gross of $205,429,341 ($702,121,594 worldwide). Ferdinand hangs on to 387 screens with a U.S./Canadian gross of $81,667,553. (Globally it's earned $268,786,559).